Monday, 7 November 2016

Make Do and Mend

I've been thinking a lot lately about waste, and the disposable culture we live in.

Here's a simple repair project that extended the life of a cardigan. :)
There were holes developing in the elbow areas of my cardigan. I machine-knit patches for them, which adds a different texture and was also a fun opportunity to practice my machine knitting.

Elbow :)


I used a tuck stitch pattern which sort of looks like moss stitch.
This uses the punch card function on the machine, which is super cool!

I sewed the elbow patches on by hand as the narrow sleeves would have made it pretty hard to do on the machine!



Left: after. Right: before

I sewed the bindings on the hand area by machine, which was pretty simple, if a little annoying to get those narrow bits under the machine!


Speaking of the aesthetic of repair... Have you seen Boro?
Boro are a class of Japanese textiles that have been mended or patched together. 



Source

I love the idea of continually patching areas as they wear out, transforming the garment gradually. I wonder where will wear out next?? :D


More on sustainable repair:
Have you seen Tom of Holland? His visible repair work is very inspiring!
And Local Wisdom celebrates people's ongoing use of clothes and finds stories that celebrate love and respect for garments.



I won't have much time to play with the knitting machine for the next while, but I'm looking forward to when I do...
Next year I'm going to be super busy and I suspect I won't be blogging much, if at all! It'll be my final year of design school and it's going to be full on!
Also I'll be going to India in January on a school scholarship study tour, so obviously I'm very excited about that! Keep an eye on my Instagram for that!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you! Add a comment! :)