Tuesday, 23 June 2015

Vintage Pledge!

Hello! I feel like I'm so rusty at blogging lately I don't even know how to write them anymore ;)
Luckily, pictures say plenty.
In this case, "I made a skirt and top!". There, that wasn't so hard :)


You might have seen me on Instagram wishing to be as awesome as the vintage ladies on the pattern envelope....

Now, obviously it's impossible to be THAT cool, but I gave it my best effort! And I get to be part of Marie and Kestrel's Vintage Pledge so that's a consolation prize :)
Here's a link to the pattern on the Vintage Pattern wiki, for anyone interested.

No prizes for guessing the tee pattern I'm wearing. Yeah, I've made the Sewaholic Renfrew top a billion times now, if I can even call it that anymore. I've modified it in so many ways it's its own thing now!
Funny thing about this version- I tried to improve the fit with an experiment, and succeeded in making it worse. Lol! It's fine tucked in though... I'll try again next time! I'll update on the fit if I make any discoveries! :)


If I was smart I'd have remembered to slip a ribbon or tape under the neckline when I was sewing it down, but I forgot and stitched a scrap of tape on as an afterthought to mark the back of the garment.

The neckline is a boatneck I drew onto the pattern. I stitched some clear elastic into it to keep it from stretching out over time, as per this tip on Pattern Review. I neglected to get a photo, but I promise it's as simple as it sounds! I didn't do this on a boatneck knit dress I made a while back and it's starting to feel a bit sloppy in the neckline, so I think it's worth putting that tape in. Plus, it's easy!


The hems are just turned up and stitched with a twin needle. I wish I had a coverstitcher for a professional looking inside to my garment, but this works fine! The neckline is also finished in the same way.

This is me looking crazy, but I'm trying to show my stripe matching on the sleeves!


By the way, I feel like my floppy hat is perfect for the retro skirt style. I'm so obsessed with floppy hats, I have 6.... Need more!

Hat smugness!

Also, this shot looks like someone lazily photoshopped a stock image of a hat onto where my head should be and it makes me laugh:



I got this fabric from the op shop and it's this suede-y synthetic dealy. I thought it was great having the slippery wrong side, so it doesn't need lining. BUT, wow, it really hated being gathered. My stitches just kept slipping right out! Hah, talk about embarrassing - isn't gathering supposed to be an easy beginner technique?? Well I got there with persistence, but it wasn't easy!!

The trauma of the gathering is melting away though, because I'm happy with the final product.


You can see some puckers around the hem. I find that synthetics are a bit merciless when it comes to puckers. I guess it wasn't a big fan of my machine blind hem. I didn't think it was that obvious but this picture is showing harsh reality. Lol :P I like to think this is just a bad photo... but yes, that hem is not ideal.


Obligatory back shot: Highly uneventful.



In terms of sizing, I fit into the larger of the two sizes in the envelope. BUT, I decided to add a little bit more ease for comfort. I slashed and spread the waistband a little bit and sewed the side seams at 1cm instead of 1.5cm (which is more than I added to the waistband). But I just increased the amount I gathered the skirt in to fit the waistband. Problem solved!

Busted! You can see I sewed the waistband underlap a bit longer than the skirt. Oops. Lazy

Guts! Look at the shiny gather-hating wrong side!
POCKETS <3
I added fusible stay tape to the body along the pocket slash line to prevent it stretching out on the bias (better safe than sorry right?) You could just use interfacing. Really, the tape is just a long precut strip of interfacing, nothing revolutionary.


OH! And if you didn't already know about this method of attaching a waistband, you should! I love it because it eliminates that pesky stitching in the ditch. In a nutshell, you sew the waistband to the wrong side of the skirt, flip it over, and topstitch it down on the right side. (Instead of sewing the waistband to the right side of the skirt, flipping it over, and trying to catch it in by stitching in the ditch from the right side.) Clear as mud??

And well, that's pretty much all I have to say about this skirt, other than I am bad at buttonholes ;) Haha!

NOW, I try to give a balanced view on this blog, and this skirt was a success. But I also produced a fail, so I'm documenting it for truthiness.
I made this velvet skirt a while back, and decided it needed making over (mainly shortening).
Long story short, I decided I hated it and would never wear it, but not before making a total dog's breakfast of the hem. This is what happens when you stop caring:


Haha! Oh velvet skirt, you are dead to me.

Let's focus on the non horrible skirt though :P


So do you guys document your failures, or do you prefer to pretend they never happened? I like to see people's mistakes. How about you? :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you! Add a comment! :)