Friday, 4 January 2013

2013- The Goals

Alright, I've been enjoying reading everyone's goals too much so I'm jumping on the bandwagon- just like I did with the Top Five post... lol! 
Thanks again to Gillian for spreading the concept around :)

2012 was the first year I really got into sewing and it hasn't been plain sailing!
I think I've learned a lot though.  So here are my goals:

1:  Plan less!  The problem with following other blogs is just that they're TOO inspiring!  The amount of time I've spent thinking about all the things I'd love to make is just crazy.  I must have at least 2 years worth of projects dreamed up.  And that's great!  It's also enough!!  So I aim to calm the heck down on the planning and focus on the now.

2:  Practice Project Monogamy.  This ties into number 1-with all that inspiration swirling about, it's easy to get carried away trying to make 5 things at once.  I've learned that works really BADLY- ending up stressful and messy.  It also makes me feel like it takes forever to accomplish anything!  This year I'll try to stick to one thing at time. 

3:  Don't Buy New Patterns.  Okay, this one might be hard to do... but the fact is I have quite a few patterns I haven't made yet, and some I'd like to make again.  And again it ties into my previous two goals- I gotta keep it simple!  This goal excludes knitting patterns by the way :D  I haven't got a hoard of those!

4:  Learn More About Fitting.  Oh boy, I sure tried hard on this in 2012 (see fitting posts here.  Many embarrassing pictures were taken).  This is the most challenging aspect of sewing for me so far.  However, I went it mainly alone, with the internet and its citizens for guidance.  It was hard!  But I also aim to go a bit easier on myself this year about fit.  It's the kind of thing that most people don't even notice.  I'm sure I'll continue learning, even if I push myself a little less!

5:  Less Perfection.  Anyone who's a perfectionist will know that often it can prevent you from doing things.  Constantly nitpicking yourself and comparing yourself to others is a good way to go mad!  I'm going to make an effort to stop myself going down that road... this is probably the hardest goal among the lot, don't you think?

So, have you noticed only one of these is technique related?  That's because I've realised this year that the main thing getting in my way was ME! 
Hopefully I can pull these goals off and have a calmer, more centred year ahead.
Gosh this "making stuff" is pretty psychological huh?

Anyway, I'm looking forward to the new year- onward and upwards!  And I can't let this post end without mentioning how awesome and inspiring the community is.  You guys rock, and thanks for sharing your goals, inspiration and projects with me :)

Bring on 2013, eh? :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you! Add a comment! :)