Wednesday, 12 September 2012

The Stripey Renfrew

You know how everyone who makes Renfrews is all "Oh it's so fast.  It only took me 2 hours including cutting."  Well guess what?  This took me ages, so there!  I took ages cutting it, and I took ages sewing it too!  I am a seriously slow sewer.

This time I made a stripey version... look familiar?  Yes, I'm just like Tasia.  But I swear I had the fabric before she even released the pattern!  So she copied me, okay?



The stripes definitely didn't make it easy for me.  They were all nasty and wavy on some bits of the fabric for one, so it was a nightmare to cut.  In the end I just had to do the best with what I had.

Luckily, with a bit of fudging, I managed to match the important seams quite okay!  It took me quite a while though and I did have to redo some bits!  I also tried for ages to match the armhole stripes before figuring out it's not really possible.  Even Tasia's don't match!


Check out my side seams though.  Feels good!  (Ignore the weird face.)
The pictures aren't so hot sorry.. the weather around here has been horrible lately so I was lucky to even get these.  I really need to learn not to have my eyes shut in all my pictures too!  Plus I was feeling a little ill.  Soo yeah.


I made a few alterations since my first test Renfrew.  It definitely fits better, but not perfectly!  Of course most knits have different properties so it's hard to compare fit.
I made it bigger in the shoulder area.  I also took out some length and went up a size in the hips...  Though I think I could go even further on those two alterations!
It still tends to ride up over the bust.  I wonder why it does that... when looking at these photos I just want to give it a good YANK!

 I also noticed it still has some wrinkles around the shoulder area.  I realised I probably need to do a sloping shoulder adjustment just like the other patterns I've fitted so far.

Cursed wrinkles!
Overall I'm happy with it as it's an improvement over the last and I love stripes! :)
Of course I will make another version and hopefully it will be better again! :)  Cowl neck view, anyone?

P.S  It's still windy here.

22 comments:

  1. I am not drawn to stripes myself but they sure do lovely thing to your curves. You'll get a lot of wear out of that.

    I love the cowl version myself. Be aware it's a fabric hog when you're picking your fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this one! I have some navy and white striped fabric that I want to make a Renfrew out of, but I've been afraid to get into it because of having to match the stripes! So you're giving me courage . . . a little.

    My philosophy with fit is that if I keep on moving all the time while I'm wearing the item, people won't notice the little wrinkles. Right?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lol, this seems like a good philosophy. But really, most people would never notice these little wrinkles. It's just because we're looking for it!

      Delete
  3. This looks so cute on you! I think the little folds you're seeing at the bust are just par for the course when you have a top without bust darts. Even though the stretch fabric is accommodating, you still usually end up with those folds on a snugger top.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your thoughts on the wrinkles! Maybe if I made the top slightly less tight it would ride up less :)

      Delete
  4. You did SUCH a good job matching up the stripes! I may need to ask you for help when I make a stripe version for myself :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely job with the stripes! I'm excited to see your cowl neck version. I purchased the pattern as a present for getting through a busy few weeks and I can't wait to make the cowl with some sweater knit!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh sweater knit! I have a lightweight knit to try it out in. I bet yours will be sumptuous. I'm going to make a merino one someday- that's the dream!

      Delete
  6. Wow. You got a knit fabric to match at the sides? In a small stripe like this? My hat goes off to you, lady Jo!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is great and the stripe matching looks perfect to me. Yay! Hope work is going ok too and knitting :o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. Work is going well and knitting is a bit stalled.. lol. Hope we can go to Made on Marion again soon :)

      Delete
  8. It looks great! I've never sewn with knits, so I'm sure I would be even slower than you if I were to tackle this pattern. Love the stripes on your version. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love striped jersey! The Renfrew is a great staple, especially in stripes!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh I've always wanted a stripey renfrew!! It looks great on you. You did an awesome job!

    ReplyDelete
  11. That looks so good - your stripe matching is quite impressive! :) I wonder if the "riding up" could be from the top being a little snug over the bust and/or a little long from shoulder to bust? Those are the two things I'd check for, but I don't really know for sure. I'm just thinking that if the fullness isn't at the right place (either not enough of it or because it's too low from the upper shoulder/bust area being too long), fabric tends to move around to where it fits better fullness-wise. Like if I wear a shirt that's too tight at the hips, it will ride up to where my body is smaller around - not my favorite look. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your thoughts! I think this sounds pretty good. I'll be testing this next Renfrew :)

      Delete
  12. Your shirt looks really good, and you did a great job matching the stripes. I'm not sure if I would have enough patience to do the matching this carefully. And I don't know how anybody could sew a shirt like this in only two hours!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Johanna,
    Followed the link from your PR review. Just had to say how great you look in your striped tee! Beautiful job!

    ReplyDelete
  14. you are not the slowest sewer. I am! Seriously. I think I have you beat!

    A striped knit top is my second favorite next to a white tee. I can never get enough of them. And don't worry about not matching some of the seams. I guarantee you are the only one who notices.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Jo, that's so cute on you.. I got top envy

    ReplyDelete
  16. Just stumbled across your blog today and have to say I have the same bust issue with the Renfrew and haven't yet figured it out either - so frustrating!

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you! Add a comment! :)