Monday, 3 September 2012

Knitting Bits

Onto the next knitting project!
I'm going for my most challenging yet.
Milena- a free pattern on Ravelry.  It's a bottom up cardigan in 5 ply cotton (my finest gauge yet- eep!).  Also, it has rather scarce instructions- no gauge and no schematic.  Hmmmm!  But so cute, I can't resist.

I've created a gauge swatch and tried to calculate how big it will be based on the number of stitches in the pattern.  I've got about 3 inches of negative ease at the bottom.  That seems like quite a lot!  But I tried wrapping it around me and it seems it will stretch to fit me.  Well... it better.  lol!

Of course my gauge swatch was for the stocking stitch on 3mm needles, while the ribbing is on 2.75mm needles.  So I don't know what that means for my calculations.  I THINK I'll be alright.  Maybe.

Anyway, I have a lesson for you all.  I bought some circular needles to knit this on and it was torture!  Why?  Because the cheap needles had a horrible join that the stitches kept catching on.  It was incredibly slow and painful.

They may look innocent, but they are EVIL.
So the basic moral of the story- buy the good needles.  Hobbies should be fun right?  I went out and bought some Knit Pro needles (Knit Picks to U.S people), and it's night and day.   Lesson learned- don't waste time on inferior tools friends!  They may be cheaper but not worth the pain!

Here is my small amount of progress.  I have a feeling this knit will take me forever, but that's okay.  I really enjoy the process (when I'm using decent needles that is!).


What do you guys think- any thoughts on the ease factor?  Will the ribbing stretch enough?
Do you obsess over ease like me?  Heh heh :)

11 comments:

  1. Oh, that's pretty! You'll be so "Pretty in Pink!"

    I've had the same problem with a very expensive circular needle as well, so it's not just the cheap ones! Now when I buy a needle, I always check the join by feeling it with my fingers first.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll be feeling those joins too! Very smart idea.

      Delete
  2. I love this pattern, and even bought some yarn for it, but have never started it because it lacks gauge info. So I'm really curious to see how it goes for you.
    I also love the KnitPicks/KnitPro needles. Life's too short for crummy needles!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh really? We could be knitting twins, hee hee. Well hopefully it turns out :)

      Delete
  3. I think this is going to look great on you - will enhance your natural curves. And I love the colour of that yarn! I need to go check out your project on Ravelry. I think the ease will be fine. I've never met a knitted garment that didn't stretch a lot more than it was supposed to.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad I have your vote on the fit. It is cotton however, I'm not sure that stretches as much as wool..?
      I get paranoid about ease lol. I'm going to have to try it on again and make a final decision!

      Delete
  4. Oh you have found a lovely pattern and the colour is going to be perfect. I can continue to knit vicariously until I have to make something too ....

    And I couldn't agree more about good tools and hobbies being fun. Man the number of times I did and re-did seams/needles/thread with my old cheap and very nasty sewing machine and how much better life is with the new good one.

    Sorry I've no idea about ease with knitting and prescious little for sewing stuff :o))

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's a super cute top! Very pretty color you picked out. Can't wait to see it!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. good luck girl! I'm sure you'll do great though. Life is all about challenges, right?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Funny you should comment on snagging needles...I just got my birthday set of Addi needles in the mail today and have already replaced my Knitpros in a project with them.

    They are supposed to be top of the line, but they still have a bit of a jog on the cord/needle join! I know it is because of the amazing push and twist cable secure mechanism they have (which was my whole point of getting them over the KnitPros, I was tired of my projects coming slightly unscrewed and trying to screw them back on with sweater attached!), but am not sure if I can live with having to slow down and move yarn over the bump constantly.

    Must give it a bit and see what happens (and stop panicking about EVERYTHING!).

    Speaking of knitting twins, I have this one in my queue as well! If you have worked out your gauge by inch I would trust it and go with it. Check though, after a few rounds and make sure!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've heard of Addis but never seen them sold here in NZ. I'm pretty happy with the KnitPros and I've heard their joins are smoother.
      I have also heard they won't come unscrewed if you use the little tightening mechanism thingy that comes with the needles.
      I've yet to use my interchangeables so I can't comment on it personally yet!
      I love being knitting/sewing twins so I hope to be your Milena twin someday soon! :)

      Delete

I love hearing from you! Add a comment! :)