Monday, 24 September 2012

Keeping Warm

I made some accessories a little while ago and only just lucked out into getting good enough weather for photos!


The gloves are a free pattern on Ravelry called Vancouver Fog.
My project details on Ravelry here.

They turned out a lot longer than the pattern picture, but the extra length has actually been really nice on my frozen hands as I walk to work in the morning!
I can fold them back though and they look nicer that way.  I think it's because I have small hands!

A comparison.
I found these really quite challenging- making cables while working in a small circumference in the round.  I'm not used to either of those things so it took ages!
And don't even ask about the cast on... the pattern recommended a circular tubular cast on.  What a nightmare- I'm still traumatised, and to be honest, I don't even think it looks that amazing for all that effort, lol!

Nice and simple underneath.
I also made this Crochet Cloche, which may I add has a HIDEOUS sample, lol!  I looked beyond for the potential within!
My notes are here on Ravelry.


Okay so be honest guys, does it evoke the graceful 30s vibe I wanted it to, or is it 90s bucket hat? (eew!)


Probably not my favourite thing ever made, but it does keep my head damn warm!

Oh by the way guys, GUYS, I made an important discovery recently.  I hate recaptcha comment verifications so much- and I realised thanks to this post that my blog had those annoying things on it!!  They are removed now, so be free!!  Comment without fear!  I hope to hear from more of you now :)
And guys, don't forget to check your blogs too- recaptchas are a giant nuisance, right??

23 comments:

  1. I've made the Fog gloves and I love them! But they're a bit tricky to maneuver at first. I made them a few times and it got easier. Just make some more for Christmas presents...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, sorry I've got too much else to knit- selfish stuff! :)

      Delete
  2. Ooh, those gloves are so cute! They've been in my Ravelry queue for ages, but I haven't gotten around to making them. They look great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG! You look beyond adorable in that hat! Now I want one too! Definite '30s vibe.

    I never "got" mitts, but lately I've been thinking about making some - and now I see your super cute ones! Guess I'll have to do it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love both! Your hat is very funky, love the red on you :) Of course, it is now getting warmer by the day so I guess these will be put way soon until next April/May?

    ReplyDelete
  5. PS and THANK YOU for turning that captcha thing off! I am hopeless at reading what it really says and sometimes have to try three times.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, so happy I turned it off! :)

      Delete
  6. Yay! More knits...and some LOVELY cables. Nice job. Isn't it warming up on your end of the world, though?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lol, I have cold bones so I will still get wear out of the gloves for a few more weeks I think :)

      Delete
  7. I love both the hat and the hand warmers! Ha ha - I'd forgotten about the 90's bucket hats!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You've become a knitting whiz. I love both them both. Red looks great on you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wouldn't say whiz yet ;) Still looking forward to seeing your Miette- made much more progress?

      Delete
  9. Love the mitts and the hat! I think the hat has a 30's vibe! I'm super impressed with your cables in the round, I find them fiddly even when working flat.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow that hat is adorable!! I absolutely love it, so much that I could possibly start knitting! er, maybe I could just find me one on etsy. Red is your color!! I turned off my annoying recaptcha too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad you like it! I was a little unsure of it but I'm feeling more confident now :)

      Delete
  11. I love your gloves! Aren't you so excited the weather is finally cooling down so that we can wear our cold weather accessories? I sure am!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, sadly the opposite is true- it's starting to warm up here in New Zealand! So I won't be getting much mileage out of these in the coming months :)

      Delete
  12. I'm so in love with that cloche hat!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your gloves are lovely, the cables are gorgeous. I'm not a big fan of the tubular cast-on either, a lot of effort for not a lot of show! And I love you hat, definately a 30s thing going on there! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hah, I'm glad someone else isn't a fan of that cast on. It became a nightmare trying to do it in the round on top of already being a tricky pain in the butt. Soo not worth it!

      Delete
  14. ooh I love those gloves - I could use a pair like that for wearing in my office!
    Thanks so much for the recaptcha reminder - i thought I'd switched it off ages ago but turns out I hadn't, I have now though as there's been so many times i've got the code wrong when trying to leave comments.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you! Add a comment! :)