Wednesday, 27 June 2012

New Look 6808- Finally Finished!!

It's done... it's over.  I finally got a finished garment out of this pattern!  This top has been months in the making.  Months!  It marks my first foray into fitting the top half of my body, and it sure has been challenging.
I never thought it would be so difficult...wow, what a journey. lol.  Lots. Of.  Fitting.
I posted my finished Taffy a while ago, but I actually started that long after I started New Look 6808.  lol.   Let's say it's been an on-again, off-again relationship, full of mental blocks, confusion, and a great deal of searching for help on the internet.
And I did find it!  I'm grateful for the folks at Pattern Review, Alexandra from In-house Patterns, and all the commenters on my blog.  The internet is wonderful!
Okay, enough waffling- pics:



Thanks to the wind for making my hair look fancy here!

It was good I didn't have to worry about ruining the fabric, could you get more basic than plain white?  I know the top is a bit boring, I'm looking forward to doing more interesting things with the pattern next time :)  I also think the fabric was maybe a little too crisp and sturdy.  It really helped bring out every wrinkle...grr!  Now that I'm learning to fit, every wrinkle means so much!

I actually found myself adjusting the fit while sewing this top,  even though I'd already made 3 muslins!  I won't go into that here, maybe I'll make another fitting post soon.  I found the sleeves really horrible to ease in.  I think my fabric was too thick, but also there was just too much ease in the sleeve cap- behold the horror:

Not supposed to be gathered...
I ended up doing some dodgy sewing voodoo to reduce that ease, so the sleeves don't fit into the armhole as drafted.  I eventually got the darn sleeves in without gathers, but the whole armhole/sleeve area definitely needs fixing.  From what I hear, that's a very common complaint about the big pattern companies.

Sans scarf.

The fit is still very far from perfect, but I actually deem this wearable..I think.  It's weird, I never usually wear knit tops so a woven is a different feeling!  I'd like to tweak the fit further before making another version.  I still don't know if I have a sway back, but I ended up making two large back darts to try to get a nice shape in the back. 

Awkward pic, sorry!

It may not be the best garment ever made but when I look at how far it's come, I think I deserve a bit of a celebration! 

Left: very first muslin.

By the way,  I used the same lapped zipper technique as I did for this skirt.  It's really good, and I know someone wanted to know how, so here are the instructions, hope this is sufficient :)

I can't believe I finished this garment!  Onwards and upwards eh?



26 comments:

  1. All the work you did on the fit really paid off, it looks great. I love the neckline and cap sleeves. I also dread setting in sleeves and haven't yet cracked it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You did a great job with this top, and the result is worth all the work! I always find that fitting is the most difficult part in sewing, but you mastered it so well, and when I look at the photos there is nothing I would change for the fit.
    For the sleeves, you could try to ease the shoulder in by steam pressing the armhole seam over a pressing ham or the edge of a sleeveboard before setting in the sleeve, since I do that I find it much easier to fit the sleeve into the armhole. I like your gathered sleeve a lot, though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your kind words and your sleeve tip. I did try that (I think it might have helped a little), but in the end, I had to do a bit of sewing surgery to fit in nicely without puckers. I blame the pattern, lol! And the fact that my fabric was thick.

      Delete
  3. Wow! So many things to love about this post! The top looks fantastic, as if it were made just for you, LOL! You may think it's a little boring, but I think a white top is a very versatile and basic item to have in your wardrobe.

    When I saw the sleeve picture, I thought, "Ooh, cute! Gathered sleeves!" And then I read that they weren't supposed to be that way and you don't like it!

    And that side-by-side pic of the first muslin compared to the finished product really brings home all the great work you did on getting the right fit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! I agree that versatile pieces are really great to have :)

      Delete
  4. Great work. Ps I would never had bought this by the patern photo but love it made

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would say simple and elegant rather than boring. Your red scarf dresses it up perfectly:-)

    bgballroom - "tourist" from PR

    ReplyDelete
  6. hi!
    i agree with gail that the blouse will be very useful. i'd wear it with a blazer and pants. the next time you sew it, try folding out a 1/4'' crease in the upper bodice front--this will smooth out the loose fabric above the bust by 1/2'' (because the crease is actually doubling the decrease.) if this works on the muslin, only then do you transfer the change to your pattern. the sleeve cap could also be shortened downward a bit--again try this on your muslin before changing the paper pattern--it should then be easier to ease into the armscye.--anne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your fitting tips. I will definitely be tinkering with it in the future. :)

      Delete
  7. Your top looks great! The difference between your first muslin and the final top is incredible - great job on the fit. I like the sleeves, if I didn't know better I would have thought they were supposed to be gathered. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. It looks lovely!...and much more true to the integrity of the pattern than the version I sewed up (read: butchered)! The neckline is rather flattering on you, too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. OK, this fit is excellent! It's hard to believe you've only been sewing for a short time. You are obviously very hard-working and talented.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, from a fitting pro like you this means a lot :) Thanks very much!! I will keep on trying! :D

      Delete
  10. Gorgeous! This shape is so flattering on you! I bet you will make this over and over again!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've put in sleeves one time and I've tried to avoid them ever since. They scare me! I would of had no idea your sleeves weren't supposed to be gathered. Looks great on you!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am so inspired by your tenacity! I remember when you made up the first muslin and seeing the side by sides shows how much work went into this project. This blouse fits you so well. I agree with Gail - a white blouse can be a wardrobe workhorse. Bravo, Jo!

    ReplyDelete
  13. You've come a long way baby! hehe, I really like the style of the top on your - very flattering - as is white. I really like this :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. That's quite an accomplishment! I think the plain white makes it a really good basic top. It's a really cute style, too - love that neckline!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Not boring at all - useful and simple etc. Nice job. I too like the sleeves 'gathered' a little. They look really cute and like they are supposed to be just that way. So there.

    ReplyDelete
  16. This blouse shows what a difference it makes to take the time to get a perfect fit. It's lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is awesome Jo! Congratulations on sticking with it and working it out! It looks great! I agree the gathers in the sleeve look really cute and the neckline is very flattering on you. I would call this a success!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Yes congratulations indeed and yes you deserve a celebration. You have made a lovely and skilled job of the top which will be handy to be able to make it again without the "learning curves". I think the style suits you and great to see you enjoying "sewer's satisfaction.

    ReplyDelete
  19. You did a wonderful job on this top! I've been making a few versions of it myself and still trying to get the fit perfect! :) I think the plain white looks lovely and it would look awesome with a little brooch or similar decoation. Wonderful work, look forward to seeing any more versions of this top that you make.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you! Add a comment! :)