Wednesday, 23 May 2012

Finished! Vintage Skirt Pattern!

Well, after much procrastination I finally finished my skirt!  And I'm surprised to say I quite like it!
I used an old pattern from the 60s I found in an op shop.  
And guess what?  That's one finished from my "Till Whenever I'm Done Palette Challenge" :)


Somewhat awkward pic!

During the construction of this skirt, I really wasn't sure if I'd end up liking it.  There are loads of bits where I just felt like I messed it up.  The lining was super fiddly (urgh, lining fabric is such a pain, so slippery!).  The lining hem is all puckered and gross, and the zig zag seam finish isn't the nicest  (but I really can't think of any better way to do it without an overlocker)



Hemming was a real chore, the flared skirt had so much to ease in, so that was a bit puckery and gross too.  I used seam binding and catch stitching.  What's the secret to a good flared hem?


I messed up one more thing- It said to ease the skirt into the waistband, but I couldn't get it not to pucker.  There was just toooo much to ease in!  Since there are 8 gores, if you are a little off on each, it really adds up.  That's what I think happened.  Either during cutting, or sewing, or both.
What's stupid is on the original muslin, there were puckers too.  So when I added some width to the waistband, I left the gores the same, thinking that would fix it.  But it wasn't enough!
Dumb puckers, I dislike them so much I'm seriously contemplating getting the seam ripper out and doing some surgery.  What a pain!

All in all, I felt like a real novice on this project.  I need to get better at this sewing stuff!  I'm a little hard on myself, I know....

Let's focus on the good things now.
-The zip went in like a dream!  I used a method I found in my 70s Reader's Digest book.  It's hard to explain, but it was different to all the sewing instructions I'd found on lapped zips so far!
None of that stupid bump of fabric I seem to get at the bottom of the zip.  Yay!  (I could post a photo of the zipper instructions if anyone is interested).

-The skirt has the lovely flare at the bottom that I so wanted!  Mandatory twirling pics!




Fabric:  It's made in a polyester viscose blend crepe.  This stuff has a really nice drape, but it's the type of fabric that likes to pick up every bit of hair and fluff around!  I would love to use wool crepe, but couldn't find any.

I wonder if I'll make this skirt again!  I think it is a really cute style.  I'm also thinking I'd like to have a go at the little blouse (isn't the scalloped collar sweet?  At first I thought it was weird, but it's grown on me).

Here I seem to have inadvertently copied the model's pose from the envelope!  Hey, even my hair is similar!

Channeling the envelope..

Wow, I felt like I put a load of pictures in.  But I'm going to be honest-  I love seeing other bloggers put lots of pics in, so I shall too! :)
I also got a picture without my top tucked in.  Which do you like better?  I'm not sure!

(Taken later in the day, hence different light)
Ahh, feels so good to complete a project :)

21 comments:

  1. Oh, lady, I know how frustrating sewing can be-- I just chucked a particularly disobedient muslin into the bin-- but you look great! It looks like it'll be a wardrobe workhorse (and hooray for twirling), and I wouldn't've guessed you'd had a spot of trouble with it.

    And gosh, easing is rough, isn't it? I half-suspect it's either. 1. a hazing tactic dreamt up to scare off novice seamstresses by assigning them an impossible task or 2. magic. But I'm told these things will get easier if we persist, and your skirt, in the meantime, looks excellent.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the skirt looks really great! I wouldn't try take out the puckers now. I always feel that altering can cause more problems and heart ache. What about top applying a trim on the bottom waistband to hide the puckers? If not, just wear the skirt with a top that hangs below the puckers. Either way, you'll look fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with Madalynne, altering can definitely cause more problems. Your skirt looks very nice as it is.

    To make the flared hem easier, run a machine basting stitch near the unfinished edge of the hem allowance. Fold up the hem allowance and draw in the basting thread while pressing to reduce the length of the unfinished edge and ease in the excess. You can add hem tape or lace after you've got the ease in the hem perfectly distributed. The narrower the hem allowance the easier hemming the flare will be.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gorgeous skirt. Who would have though that 70s pattern could look so lovely made up now! I have a similar pattern and I'm tempted to try now. Hemming is a pain. I presume you made sure it was all evenly distributed and in the right place. Man made fabrics are so hard to hem anyway - my pencil skirt still has puckers despite re-doing it and distributing it correctly. Shortening the length of the hem and omitting the tape next time may help. I had a slight puckering problem on my Lonsdale as I did a 3.5cm hem instead of 2.5cm as recommended. As the fabric was so great to work with the odd pucker hasn't noticed but I'm going to try 2.5 cm on my next Lonsdale (which I am currently working on!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh thank you for the tips! :) I think I might have to make this skirt again and do it better next time :)

      Delete
  5. Thanks for your commiserations Rachel! And Madalynne and Alexandra, thanks so much for your advice! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. It looks lovely, you should be really pleased. It's a great basic so am sure you'll wear it loads. I'm terrible at easing hems, I normally just end up putting little folds in here and there as I can never ease properly.

    ReplyDelete
  7. how sweet. basic skirts get so much use so its definably a keeper. xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. How cute are you?! I love this skirt-- it's so drapey and swirly! The puckers aren't noticeable at all! And congrats on a perfect zipper! :) I like it better with your top tucked in (my two cents).

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your skirt is lovely! Honestly I don't notice the puckering at all. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your skirt looks fabulous! I love the drape to it and I wouldn't worry one bit about any puckers. I think you should try making on of the blouses from that pattern too!
    -Kim

    ReplyDelete
  11. Darling! And the skirt has such life to it. Fab job!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Cute! I have the same trouble with easing :-( But I think your skirt is cute enough that you shouldn't let it bother you :-) There's always next time!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Jo - this is a really cute skirt and congrats about the zip going in so well. I'm with the others about not altering the puckers - the trim is a great idea if they bother you. I think tucked in or out suits the style too BTW, again its about whether you mind the puckers.

    I found your lovely blog via Thesewingspace.com - so am off to have a wee look around :o).

    ReplyDelete
  14. It's a beautiful skirt! Good job! And might I add, as a semi-beginner it gives me some hope to see an imperfect skirt that still manages to look good. Mine aren't quite up to that yet, but it seems like most of the sewing blogs I read have folks with amazing skill and while I am inspired I am intimidated.

    Will you post the zipper instructions please?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I am glad you appreciate seeing the imperfections! It's important to me not to present an image of a flawless job, because like you I am often indimidated by others' skills! It's good to know there are others out there who aren't perfect :)
      I'll have to get those zipper instructions up, yes! If only I could email them to you. I was thinking I should put them my blog post next time I do another lapped zipper. I should have another project finished soon with one :)

      Delete
  15. Gorgeous skirt, LOVELY bias on the hem there ;-) Come into the shop some time and I will talk you through how to get it to go the way you wanted it to. I think it looks great, but I know what you mean. It's frustrating not knowing the options for different techniques :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for the offer! I'll definitely come in sometime :)

      Delete
  16. You know what's funny, I can't see any of the puckers when you have your skirt on! I vote for shirt out but both ways are cute and I love all your pictures, never to many!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I think it looks great! I like it with the shirt out. You could always wear it with a wide belt to hide the puckers but they aren't even noticeable in the pics.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you! Add a comment! :)