Friday, 17 February 2012

McCalls 5989 Nightie

Yay, I finished McCalls 5989!
This one has been in the works forever.  I've had the test bodice lying around for months!
It was a nice change to do sleepwear because I figure you don't have to worry if you mess it up a little since no-one will really see.. but it did turn out pretty well after all :)

Sorry, I ain't modeling sleepwear on the internet! :)

According to the packet I was size 6 bust and size 12 waist and hips.  But now I’m wise to how much extra ease they stick in, I tested a size 4 bodice.  And it was too big(!)... I took 4.7cm (1.9 inches) out of the width of the back.  (I also did a whole lot of maths figuring out if I take x out of the elastic in the back, how much I should proportionately take out of the bodice back.. wow, I’m boring myself talking about it!  Turns out it was a bit pointless since the difference was about .5cm).  When sewing it together I realised I forgot to alter the back pattern piece to match!  Whoops... I just gathered in the extra width.  You can’t tell because the drawstring gives it a gathered look anyway :)
I also tapered out the size 4 out to a size 8 at waist and 10 at the hip.

 The instructions were a bit bad in one place - telling me to finish the armhole with a narrow hem.  Well I found out narrow hems and armholes don’t mix:
Yuck!
Eewww!

....so I turned to the fine folks at pattern review and they helped me out!  Thanks!  I ended up using bias tape to finish the edges which was a new skill I learnt :)
New non- hideous armhole
Ooh!  Bias tape-y!


I liked how it turned out pretty cute.  It did seem like quite an effort just to make sleepwear though!  I’m sure I’ll get faster however.  I definitely came across a few beginner hurdles here. 

Okay, I've gone on about it long enough- have a shot of the bodice.  I really like the lace!

And... just one more okay?  Promise this is the last :)  I just loved the cute print so have a close-up:


Now there's just one test in store for it- to see if it can handle my crazy sleeping!

13 comments:

  1. It turned out so cute and the print is adorable! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That fabric is so sweet, especially when you add the lace trim. Nice job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Adorable! I love these sweet floral prints.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for visiting! I seem to be magnetically drawn to florals, I can't help it! :)

      Delete
  4. Really sweet! I want to make some slips this year and maybe some pyjamas so I love seeing what others make.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The only thing about making sleepwear and the like is that if you're proud of the result you can't go around wearing it all day! I suppose it's sort of like fancy seam finishes, it's like your little secret to enjoy.. Thanks for visiting, I enjoy following your blog :)

      Delete
  5. I love this! It's so cute! You must feel so pretty when you wear this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh thank you! I enjoy following the pretty stuff you make on your blog :)

      Delete
  6. Wow, wow! Hee hee, I got comments from three of the blogs I follow. You guys are part of what inspired me to blog in the first place :) I feel like a celebrity now, haha!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely work Johanna. I love the pink lace trim. It really finishes it beautifully. Great perseverance to solve the edges. A very pretty nightie.

    Pauline

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love that fabric! Really nice job - gorgeous lace trim too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi, I have just made this and I am not entirely happy with the way it has turned out. I think I have made it too big and so the front gapes open alot. I have put a piece of fabric in the front which now makes the neckline look more rounded instead of going down to a point, but I think I will make a smaller size next time. The other thing I wanted to know is, it looks as though your lace crosses over each other on the bodice section where it is joined to the bottom. Is that the case or is it an optical illusion. I did mine so it meets at the centre front.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comment :)

      About the lace- mine doesn't overlap a lot, but I did line up the scallops so they hugged each other, if that makes sense. I lined up the left side of the lace so that the outward curve of the scallop met the inward scallop of the right side. So, if I chopped off the scallops from both sides, that edge would be at the centre front.

      Hope this makes even a tiny bit of sense, haha!

      Good luck with your next version!

      Delete

I love hearing from you! Add a comment! :)